Thursday, December 1, 2011

UFO for November

No, it isn’t completely finished, but it has come a long way from the stack of blocks that languished in a bag for years! 

I made the hexagon blocks from a pretty pink daisy fabric some years ago.  I bought the fabric and the One Block Wonder book by Maxine Rosenthal on the same day.  But as pretty as the hexagons were, I wasn’t happy with them with the One Block Wonder technique, and they were put to one side.  I have carried them around with coordinating fabrics for YEARS!  Every November at retreat I would vow that this would be the year.  Another retreat has come and gone, and there was still no progress. 

The sticking point with this project was in making the decisions – which fabric? where?  One day I sat down with EQ and considered my options.  I made some decisions.  I started to sew.  Nearly came to a halt when I didn’t like the way one fabric was working out, but I made ANOTHER decision and carried on.  (I’m sure you didn’t notice where I used two different fabrics because there wasn’t enough of either to do the job!) Pink hexagon top

This still needs some borders, but I have enough of the original daisy fabric plus a coordinating dark pink or dark green.  So that part will be easy. 

There is one UFO left in my stack for the year.  It is the African Collage from a class with Pippa Moore at Quilt Canada in 2010.  If I put the pieces up on the design wall, do you think they can be turned into something by the end of the month? 

Technorati Tags: ,

7 comments:

Carol said...

I love what you did with the hexagons -- so I'm sure you'll also be successful in December!

Donna~~ said...

Congrats on your progress! I think it'll be lovely with the borders you describe. (And I like that you used two different pinks--makes it more interesting!) I get hung up at decision points on quilts too--too easy to just start something new, rather than figure it out!

JudyCinNC said...

I love this quilt - pink and green are always winners and your hexagons are wonderful. Off The List and that is a good thing. Judy C

Heather said...

That is so beautiful! Even if you didn't finish, you made it past the point that had you stuck, so it'll be a much easier finish when the right time comes -- so congratulations! And best of luck with your December project!

Jennifer said...

Wow, your top is striking - love the way you set it and the colors too. Congrats on another finish!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful top. It reminds me of an argyle sweater. Any progress is success!

Katie said...

That is such a unique, awesome way to set those hexagons. It's so striking and with a border will be an even more wonderful quilt.